There is just something about a homemade Cake that warms the heart. This Apple Spice Cake does just that. As I was baking this cake my entire house filled with the smell of apples, cinnamon, and spices. Can you smell it?! I finished it off with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting and toasted pecans. Delicious just isn’t the word for it. I really can’t think of one. Don’t take my word for it, try it yourself.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 – 8oz cream cheese frosting, softened
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Mix until smooth.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand. Using a cake spatula and add a thin layer of frosting on top.
- Next place the second cake on top of the first one and frost. Then frost the sides of the cakes.
- Top with toasted pecan chips and pecans halves. Note: Pecan Chips are tiny pieces of pecans that you can actually buy already chopped. However, feel free to chop your own.
To Toast Nuts:
- To toast nuts, simply place nuts on a baking sheet lined with silicone baking mat and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Toast in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
Apple Spice Cake
Homemade Apple Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filled your house with the smell of apples, cinnamon, and spices.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cup of chopped unpeeled raw apples
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice I used walnuts.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- You will also need about 7 pecan halves and approximately 2 Tablespoons of pecan chips for the top of frosting. See frosting notes above.
- Preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Use parchment paper for the bottom of pans. This may be overkill, but it's what works for me. The last thing you want, is your cake sticking to the pan.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Next add eggs, oil, milk, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and mix with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and mix well.
- Add chopped apples and nuts. Mix well.
- Divide batter between pans and bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Watch carefully. All ovens bake differently and you do not want to over bake.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn cake pans over onto a wire rack and remove parchment paper. Allow cakes to cool completely.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This looks yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!
This was so good I’m making it again for Easter.
Just wondering… how much cinnamon to use for the cinnamon frosting? It’s not listed in the ingredients or the instructions. I used 1 teaspoon and it seemed good.
Amy Tinnin says
I’m sorry I must have left that out. 1 tsp. is correct. 🙂