This Homemade Hamburger is a one-pot dinner. It’s healthier and tastes just as good, if not better than the box version. As a kid growing up Hamburger Helper was one of my favorite meals. My mom made it for us at least once a week.
Hamburger Helper is one of those meals that bring back all the nostalgia. If you grew up in the 90’s you know what I am talking about. This Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe is a healthier version. Yes, I do make things that are sometimes not as healthy. I still make boxed food for my kids. However, I do try to use better ingredients and make things homemade when I can. This recipe seriously doesn’t take any longer to make than the one that comes in a box.
SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS AND TIPS:
- Ground Beef: You can use organic meat or all-natural lean ground meat. I usually use 93% lean and 7% fat.
- Cheese: I do use a lot of bagged shredded cheese, but I highly recommend using a block of fresh cheddar cheese and grating it yourself. It melts and tastes so much better than bagged cheese. However, if this is not possible, use the bagged pre-shredded cheese. I have used both.
- Beef Broth: The beef broth adds a ton of flavor. I recommend using the low-sodium broth. You could also substitute with vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water.
- Elbow Noodles: I use elbow noodles, but you could use any style. Elbow noodles are the most common in Hamburger Helper. If you want a healthier option you could use whole wheat noodles or even chickpea pasta.
This easy one-pot dish is a recipe that will bring your family together. It is a quick homemade dinner that is great for busy nights. It also makes great leftovers.
I shared a reel on my Instagram and Facebook making this recipe. I also share daily in my stories.
Homemade Hamburger Helper One Pot
- 1 lb. Hamburger
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 TBS. Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups Beef Broth Low sodium if possible
- 16 oz box of elbow noodles Approximately 2 1/2 cups uncooked
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese Block cheese is the best if possible
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or larger skillet.
- Add hamburger and onions. Cook through.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper.
- Add milk & beef broth.
- Add uncooked elbow noodles and stir well brining to a boil.
- Cover with lid and turn heat to low.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to bottom of pan.
- Once noodles are tender turn off heat and add sdredded cheese.
- Mix cheese untul melted and combined.
- Sprinkle parsley on top if desired and serve.