This quick and easy classic chili recipe is made on the stovetop and it ready in less than 30 minutes. And more importantly, my kids like it. Yes, this is kids approved. That’s kind of a big deal in my home.
On a cold night this bowl a chili just hits the spot. Sometimes we even make chili dogs.
You can use a Chili seasoning packet in place of the individual seasonings if you prefer that.
We love adding our own toppings. Here are some of our favorites.
Topping Ideas for Chili
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions (Scallions)
- Jalapeno Slices
- Red or White Onions
- Sour Cream
- Greek Yogurt (I use this for a healthier option)
- Saltine Crackers
Quick and Easy Chili
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. hamburger or ground turkey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic 3 garlic cloves
- 2 14.5 oz cans of Diced Tomatoes Chili Ready with juice (I use Red Gold Tomatoes) See notes below.
- 1 14.5 oz. can pinto beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed Or use 1 packet of Chili Seasoning in place of individual seasonings.
- 2 14.5 oz. cans of chili beans in sauce (do not drain)
- 1 14.5 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin Or use 1 packet of Chili Seasoning in place of individual seasonings.
- 2 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Brown Sugar
- Season with Sea Salt & Pepper
- Heat olive oil on med-low heat in a Large Cast Iron Dutch Oven Pot or large pot
- Add Chopped Onion and minced Garlic and saute until translucent. Usually 3-5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to onion mixture. Cook until meat is brown all the way.
- Drain meat and return to pot.
- Add chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (chili ready). Or use Chili seasoning packet instead of the individual seasonings.
- Next, add chili beans and pinto beans or kidney beans. Your choice.
- Mix all the ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until warm.