Sweet Potato Egg Boats is a healthy recipe idea for breakfast, lunch, and or even dinner.
I am always trying to come up with healthy recipes on the blog and this one is definitely a keeper. Sweet potatoes are a healthy carb and loaded with are a rich source of fiber as well as containing vitamins and minerals. They are also a good source of B and C vitamins. In this recipe, I went a step further and added an egg and healthy toppings to make this dish anything but boring.
How to cook sweet potaotes
There are a few different ways you can bake sweet potatoes. You can either bake in the oven, microwave or use your pressure cooker. I am going to share two ways with you today.
Bake in the oven
First, pierce holes in sweet potatoes with a fork. Next, bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until softened.
If you are in a hurry, microwave the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes, or until they have softened. You still need to pierce holes in the potatoes using a fork.
Make space for the eggs
Once the sweet potatoes are cool, cut baked sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the center of each half, leaving about 1/2 inch border. This will be the area that holds the egg.
Add Eggs and filling
Next, fill each of the potatoes with 1 egg and any additional fillings. I added spinach and green onion to mine.
Bake Egg Boats
Bake for your potato egg boats for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set. Cook longer if you want a yolk less runny.
Filling and Topping ideas
- Bacon (cooked)
- White onion
- Green Onion
- Shredded Cheese
You can also cut this recipe down and make it one serving. I make this for myself for lunch.
Sweet Potato Egg Boats
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup spinach. optional
- Green Onion, chopped optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a fork to pierce holes all over the sweet potatoes.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until softened. Or if you are in a hurry microwave the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes, until they have softened.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cool, cut baked sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the center of each half, leaving about 1/2 inch border. This will act as a cavity for the egg.
- If you are adding fresh spinach leaves I add a little to the bottom of the cooked potato first. If you aren't adding spinach, skip this step.
- Next, fill each of the potatoes with 1 egg and any additional fillings. I added green onion to the top of mine.
- Season each potato halves with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set. Cooke longer if you want a yolk less runny.
See more healthy recipes here.