These Philly Cheesecake Stuffed Peppers are low carb, Keto, and gluten-free. I love a good cheesesteak sandwich, but not the carbs. So in this recipe, we skip the bread and fill a delicious pepper with steak, onions, and cheese. It’s both healthy and delicious.
Peppers and Filling
Any color of pepper will work. I love the beautiful vibrant colors peppers give this dish. I used both green and red peppers in this recipe. Cutting the peppers in half will speed up the baking time. This will also give you enough time to prepare the filling for the peppers. Can you smell the onions and mushrooms? Yum!
The steak needs to be thinly sliced. I used sirloin steak but you can choose your favorite. You can also ask your butcher to slice the steak for you.
Add provolone cheese to the insides of the peppers and fill with cooked steak mixture. Top with a little more cheese and broil until golden and cheese is melted.
Note: If you are in the FWTFL Bootcamp, omit the cheese.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 1 Tbsp. Avocado Oil
- 1 lb. Sirloin Steak thinly sliced (see notes)
- 4 Whole Bell Peppers any color
- 1 small-medium yellow onion sliced thin
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Cut tops and halve Peppers lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Preheat oven to 400º degrees. Place peppers in a large baking dish face up and bake 15 – 20 minutes or until tender. (Keep an eye on them, see notes.)
- In a large skillet add avocado oil and heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until for approximately 5 minutes or soft.
- Add steak slices and season with a little more salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce and cook 5 minutes or until steak is done to your liking.
- Line the inside of each baked pepper with 1/2 slice of provolone cheese.
- Spoon steak mixture into each pepper halves.
- Top with small cheese pieces.
- Return filled peppers back to the baking dish. Broil until golden and cheese is melted. Approximately 3 minutes.