These easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas make the perfect family dinner on busy nights. I love my slow cooker. By just changing a few ingredients, I have made this a healthy low carb Chicken Enchilada recipe. I also have this same recipe I make in my Instant Pot. It will be on the blog soon.
Use Whole wheat Tortilla Carb Balance burrito size shells. By using the Tortilla Carb Balance shells it makes this dish low carb. They are only 8g of net carbs per serving. I like to eat this on my low carb days since I follow the FWTFL . Check your local grocery store for these.
Note: If you are in the FWTFL Bootcamp these are not Gluten Free and do contain cheese.
By using Greek yogurt in place of sour cream makes this recipe a healthy one. My kids can’t even tell the difference. I don’t even buy sour cream anymore. Give it a try.
Homemade Taco seasoning is very easy to make and healthier than the store-bought kind. It only takes a few minutes to make and I store mine in a spice jar I bought from here.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Store in a spice jar.
2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 onion powder
1/4 crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Store in a glass seasoning jar.Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas the whole family will love. This is a healthy low carb version.
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breast (about 5)
- Taco Seasoning (homemade or store bought) See my Homemade Taco Seasoning below.
- 2 – 10 oz. cans of enchilada sauce
- 1 – 4 oz. can dice green chiles
- 1 cup of Mexican cheese.
- 1-2 cups Plain Greek Yogurt
- 6 Whole wheat Tortilla carb balance (I used burrito size, but use whatever you prefer). Using
NOTE: By using Whole wheat Tortilla carb balance makes this dish low carb.
- Place chicken breast in slow cooker.
- Season top of chicken with taco seasoning.
- Add diced green chiles and 1 can of enchilada sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken of fully cooked.
- Remove cooked chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken back into slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup of Greek Yogurt and mix well.
- Preheat over to 350
- Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray. Spread approximately 1/2 can of the enchilada sauce on bottom of casserole dish.
- Layout 6 Low Balance Whole Wheat Tortilla and divide the chicken mixture evenly between them.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of cheese and roll enchiladas and place in casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tops of enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
- Top with remaining greek yogurt in place of sour cream if preferred.
Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves, Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), sour cream, chopped tomatoes add or jalapenos.
Homemade Taco Seasoning – Store in Spice Jar
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 onion powder
- 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Store in a glass seasoning jar.