I had an opportunity to make a dish that is a healthier version of nachos. This is called Festive Nachos and the recipe is adapted from freshthyme.com This recipe tastes amazing and clean. I used all organic ingredients I purchased from Fresh Thyme Farmers Market. I also did a cooking segment on KMOV Great Day St. Louis. You can see the full video below.
This dish uses organic black beans, mango and avocado. Can you say yum?! Seriously, this is so good. Feel free to add shredded chicken or lean ground hamburger or turkey burger. This recipe is so easy and your guest will love it!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) mustard
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) apple juice concentrate
- Black pepper, chipotle powder, and salt to taste
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked black beans
- 1 – 16 oz (450 g) package whole grain baked tortilla chips
- Cilantro for garnish
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, apple juice concentrate, black pepper, chipotle powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, toss the avocado, red bell pepper, mango, onion, and beans with the dressing. Place tortilla chips on serving plate and top them with bean mixture. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
- Each serving contains: 209 calories; 6 g protein; 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 34 g carbohydrates; 5 g fibre; 127 mg sodium
Here are some behind the scenes photos from the cooking segment on KMOV Great Day St. Louis. 😉